No matter your driving skills or previous experience on the roads of Los Angeles, you could have the misfortune of getting injured in a car accident. If that happens, you need to take appropriate steps and must seek legal counsel. Working with one of the top car accident attorneys Los Angeles can maximize your chances of getting a fair settlement, especially when the accident resulted from someone’s fault. In this post, we share the key steps you need to take after the crash.
- Get medical attention. Call 911 right away if you are injured, or someone else needs immediate medical attention. If someone is severely injured, do not try to move them until you have the training to do so.
- Inform the police. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. Even when you have a share in fault, you need to inform the police and wait for the investigating officer to come to the scene.
- Get the details you need. While you should minimize your conversations with other drivers or insurance companies after a crash, you need to exchange key details, such as contact information and insurance data.
- Take photos. If you eventually decide to seek compensation from the at-fault party, you will need evidence from the accident scene. On the safer side, take as many photos and videos of the accident scene as you possibly can.
- Get witness details. If there were witnesses to the accident, get their contact details and names. Depending on the situation’s circumstances, you may need their testimonies to prove your claim.
Do you need a lawyer for your car accident case in LA?
The short answer is yes. Although not mandatory, hiring an attorney can benefit your case immensely. Lawyers know everything about California laws, and they have been interacting in the local courts for years. As per the statute of limitations in the state, you have two years to file a car accident lawsuit, and the count starts from the accident date. It would help if you had an attorney who could work on the case and gather evidence to find fault and liability. A skilled attorney may rely on medical experts and car accident reconstruction services to prove a claim.
If you were responsible for the car accident to an extent, you need a lawyer to protect your interests and determine the worth of your claim. Most PI lawyers in Los Angeles won’t take a fee until you win.