An unfortunate car accident can cause severe injuries and trauma. You may feel dizzy at the accident site, but it is important to follow the necessary steps. Texas is a fault state. If the other driver was reckless or careless, you could consider filing an injury claim with their insurer. In this post, we are sharing the steps to follow after a crash and why you need a Houston car accident attorney for your case.
- Pull over and get to a safe spot. Don’t be tempted to run away from the accident scene, no matter how simple things may seem. Check if you can get your vehicle to a safe spot.
- Call 911. If anyone requires medical attention, call 911 immediately. Many car accident injuries only show up weeks later, and it is wise to check with an injury doctor after the accident.
- Call the police. Texas laws require drivers to report the accident as soon as possible to the nearest law enforcement agency. You must call the police if there was property damage (where the vehicle cannot be driven safely from the accident site), injury, or death involved.
- Note details. If you are physically capable, you must collect details from the accident site. Exchange information with other drivers in the crash, and get the details of witnesses (if any). Regardless of what caused the accident, do not admit fault or discuss the accident with anyone.
- Take photographs. You need to take photographic evidence of the accident site. Check if you can take the photos of damaged vehicles and insist on getting a copy of the police report. You may also want to document your injuries in photos and videos.
You must also inform your insurance company within a reasonable time.
Why do you need a car accident attorney?
Car crashes are common on the roads of Texas, and unfortunately, many victims do not get the compensation they deserve. The compensation can cover your medical bills, the current loss of wages, vehicle damage, and other losses. It would help if you had a car accident attorney¸ so that you don’t have to directly deal with the insurance company. The claims adjuster may ask for a recorded statement, and if you end up accepting your fault, your claim can be denied. Let an attorney handle the complications related to negotiations.
Most car accident attorneys in Houston work on a contingency fee, and you don’t need to pay the attorney up front to work on your case.